skip to main content


One of the most effective ways to avoid damage to property and ensure personal safety during a flooding event is by taking preventive measures.

Before undertaking any filling, construction or altering of watercourses, contact the Ausable Bayfield Conservation Authority (ABCA) or your municipality to determine if you are in a 'regulated area'.

If applicable, ABCA staff will guide applicants through a permit process that involves gathering on-site information, survey work and providing specific conditions to reduce risk to life and property, reduce potential social disruption and protect the environment from naturally occurring flooding and erosion.

Phone 519-235-2610 or toll-free 1-888-286-2610.

Development is reviewed under the The Regulation of Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses (under Ontario Regulation 97/04)

Also see